Thursday 18 August 2011

IT'S BAAAAAAAAACK

Let's start as we mean to go on....


I LOVED Big Brother.  Over the years I have devoted hour after hour to watching people I don't know sleep, eat and fornicate.  You've heard of the term football widow, well my boyfriends over the years have been Big Brother widows - I have changed plans for nights out to make sure I didn't miss the live task or eviction nights, and yes, I have feigned serious illness to make sure no one would ring as soon as the iconic theme music started.
If you've read my other work (popcultureunderthemicroscope.blogspot.com), you'll know that I love to hate celebrities and most importantly the wannabe's shows like Big Brother create.


When I heard that it was being dropped by Channel 4 my heart sank - it was the same feeling you get when a boyfriend (or girlfriend) tells you "I don't think we should see each other again" and then turns and walks out of your life forever.  But now Channel 5 have finally stepped up to the plate and after 14 years of broadcasting is FINALLY giving us what we want - another chance to point and laugh at the fame obsessed freaks who'll do just about ANYTHING for their 15 minutes of fame (insert your own joke about Kinga and THAT wine bottle here!!!)


Davina's no longer the face of the show, instead they've got Brian Dowling - not my immediate choice for a replacement, but it's not a disaster.  He's done live TV presenting with SM:TV (admittedly it was cancelled not long after he joined, but I'm sure he wasn't entirely to blame) and he's already lived the Big Brother Bubble twice and come out victor, so I'm going to reserve judgement on him and his presenting skills .... for now!


Tonight it's kicking off with a "celebrity" version - a perfect way to get us hooked in.  But I just hope Channel 5's booking agent is better than Channel 4's because I'd like to actually be able to watch it without saying "Who are they?!?, What do they do?!?"  But seeing as our celeb mags are full of the likes of Katie Price and the cast of The Only Way Is Essex, I'm not holding my breath.


I know that for the next few weeks I'm going to be hooked.  My friends might as well prepare themselves for their calls and texts to go unanswered and woe betide ANYONE who tries to call while it's on!


So come on Channel 5, show us what you've got - bring on the celebrities!!

No comments:

Post a Comment